US President Trump recently conducted a speech on his decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action agreement. During his speech, I counted no less than 14 lies.
1. Trump claimed that Iran is responsible for the creation of the Taliban and Al-Qaeda. The truth is that the US created both of them. The CIA created both organizations to fight the Soviet Union. Ask Zbigniew Brzezinski, father of MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski who actually created the organizations.
2. Trump claimed that Iran has invaded its neighbours. In fact, Iran hasn’t invaded another country in over 200 years. By contrast, the US has invaded so many countries it’s nearly impossible to count. Some estimates put it around 40, depending on how you define invasion – conventional forces, proxy wars, bombings, etc.
3. Trump claimed Israel had proof that Iran had violated the nuclear deal by giving out a ‘half ton’ of documents on the program itself. The international community, the IAEA, and the US government itself said that the documents were old from before the deal and showed no such program after the deal was made. He openly lied to the American public and the world.
4. Trump claimed that Iran is the “leading state sponsor of terror”. This is nothing short of outrageous hypocrisy. The US has funded and created every major terrorist in the last 30 years. The US has carried out the bombings and murders of tens of millions of people.
5. Trump claimed that “Iran and its proxies have bombed American embassies and military installations, murdered hundreds of American service members, and kidnapped, imprisoned, and tortured American citizens.” Iran has no link to any embassy bombings or military installations. Who are these “hundreds of American service members” they allegedly killed? During the US invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan? Where’s the evidence for this? The US claiming torture? He dares say this in the face of Guantanamo Bay and openly supporting the use of torture during the election?
6. Trump claims the JCPOA “deal allowed Iran to continue enriching uranium and, over time, reach the brink of a nuclear breakout.” The deal allowed Iran to refine uranium for energy production (low enriched uranium). There has been not one shred of evidence that they refined it to weapons grade (highly enriched uranium).
7. Trump claims Iran has “sinister activities in Syria, Yemen and other places all around the world.” This is an outright lie. Iran mostly sends aid to Yemen, which is suffering from the worst humanitarian disaster in the world – one that is directly caused by Saudi Arabia and US manufactured weapons. Iran is welcome by the Syrian government to help fight Daesh forces. The US is unwelcome in Syria where it tries to sabotage the Syrian effort, and steal land via proxy forces.
8. Trump said, “In the years since the deal was reached, Iran’s military budget has grown by almost 40 percent, while its economy is doing very badly.” This is because Iran was invited by the Syrian government to assist them, of course, their military budget increased. This is laughable in the face of the US military budget which is astronomically greater than any other country. Iran’s economy is doing okay, could be better – if it didn’t have sanctions against it.
9. Trump said: “If I allowed this deal to stand, there would soon be a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.” This doesn’t even make any sense. With no agreement, Iran is free to develop weapons, the agreement he just ended. What he really means by a nuclear arms race is that someone other than Israel will have nuclear weapons in the Middle East.
10. Trump claimed that “the deal’s inspection provisions lack adequate mechanisms to prevent, detect, and punish cheating…” Actually, the International Atomic Energy Agency has certified time and again that Iran was in full compliance of the agreement. They made no such complaint.
11. Trump said: “Over the past few months, we have engaged extensively with our allies and partners around the world, including France, Germany, and the United Kingdom. We have also consulted with our friends from across the Middle East. We are unified in our understanding of the threat and in our conviction that Iran must never acquire a nuclear weapon.” All partners did agree with Trump that Iran should be barred from having nuclear weapons. They did not agree with him withdrawing from the agreement, which would release Iran from the obligation not to build them. The international community practically begged him to stay in the agreement.
12. Trump said: “After these consultations, it is clear to me that we cannot prevent an Iranian nuclear bomb under the decaying and rotten structure of the current agreement.” What bomb has been created? What evidence of a nuclear program is there? None.
13. Trump said: “The people of America stand with you. It has now been almost 40 years since this dictatorship seized power and took a proud nation hostage. “ The people of the US stand with no one. They are the empire and they plunder the world of their wealth. The US created the dictatorship that was overthrown by the Islamic Revolution. When has the US cared about anyone? This is all about preventing Iran from building the means to defend itself from US, Israeli, and Saudi aggression.
14. Trump claimed: “Iran’s leaders will naturally say that they refuse to negotiate a new deal; they refuse.” They have already said that repeatedly. Why should they? They already lived up to their end of the agreement.
In this roughly 13 minute speech, Trump lied 14 times. This is nothing new. According to at least one study, President Trump lied more than 3,000 times in 466 days. There is no reason to trust him now, or ever.